Dalius's blog

Monday, May 7, 2018

Duke's Dream first run results

After 3 months development I have decided to share my game to wider public and get some ideas what people think about it. So here are results of first week:

  • 94 attempts to create game.

  • 53 attempts to play game. Pretty good conversion rate IMHO.

  • At least 4 people said that game is too complicated and/or unclear.

  • Game is partially unplayable with iPhone because of technical differences how Safari works.

  • There is risk that instead of having fun and communicating with each other people will be watching into their phone screens. I was aware of this risk when I was creating the game but it might be that I have not addressed it properly.

  • I got suggestions to start blog (here it is), to start YouTube channel (I guess I need to do that as well)

  • More minor suggestions what could be my target audience, how to attract more users and etc.

  • People have no idea that “bot” is “computer player”. I was thinking that this is obvious.

  • Computer players are too stupid to have fun while playing one-on-one (just two players). Basically if you use special action that identifies you to other player and fun is lost.

  • UX notes.

Therefore my next steps with “Duke’s Dream”:

  • Simplify “How To Play” section. Most probably I will list all the steps one-by-one.

  • Remove “I’m ready”. If you connect to game then you are most probably ready.

  • Solve iPhone related problems.

  • Improve computer players so they would use special actions.

  • Figure out what else could be simplified in game.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery